View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse2130 View Post
I know this is an older thread but am wondering if people have done the same but with a ticket from the 1920s. Scrapbook residue glued to the back. Any input is appreciated!
Ben,

If you read my reply regarding the use of distilled water you will get your answer. The older glues were generally made with animal products. The expressing 'sending the horse to the glue factory' is actually true. Most of the older glues tend to dissolve quite easily.

I just used that method on some 1932 Olympic programs. They were attached to scrapbook pages using hole reinforcers. For those of us not old enough to remember they are the little white rings you could stick to your notebook paper when the holes were torn. These were used to affix the programs to the scrapbook pages. I was able to remove the programs from the pages, but the reinforcers were still stuck to the program. Using distilled water and q-tips I removed them. I wet the q-tip and rubbed it on the reinforcer to soak it. They pulled right off with no damage and the water dried quick enough so there was no wrinkling to the program.

I have also used this method to remove other items from scrapbooks - steamer trunk stickers, stamps and the such.

On the card side they discuss soaking cards and the such. Plain water can damage the inks as it can contain chlorine and other minerals. Please remember DISTILLED water.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 09-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.