View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 02:43 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Not if SGC continues to make slabs with large numerical grade numbers. Who are they trying to appeal to? 80 year olds with terrible eye sight. Always loved their customer service, the black cases, but the massive grades are such an eye sore. I’ve personally stopped submitting to them as a result.

That and they need to fix their Pop Report...it’s been a work in progress for over 2 years. That’s way too long. I’m pulling for them though.
The large and singular grades now were an effort to fix the mistake of the confusing dual grade system that they used for years with the 100 point scale. (i.e. a 7 NM is also an "84", and 8 NM-MT is an "88" and so on and so forth). So yeah, the grades are large, but that was kind of the point to make things simpler. I'd give them a break there. Are large numerical grades really an eyesore over PSA's tired red folder labels? At least an equal argument could be made over the hokey look there, and some of the old slabs before they had holograms or lighthouse insignia had flips that would twist and wrinkle inside the slabs - not very professional at all.

For my money, I will take SGC for their black slab inserts, overall nicer slabs, and superior customer service and turnaround times. I think so much of the actual look is just perception and preference - oh, BTW - you will see a lot fewer postwar cards "bounce around" in their slabs with the SGC insert than they do in PSA's with their rail system. Older vintage - mainly 1950's and earlier - do fine in PSA slabs, but they have yet to figure out the thickness thing for many 1970's and later issues. This has always driven me nuts. No, unless you go play football with a PSA slab you aren't really apt to damage anything noticeably - but the cards that do move inside the slabs are annoying, to me at least.

Let the large numerical grades grow on you. I have no problems with them whatsoever.