View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 PM
FredYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Say, Fred - If you don't mind my asking, what town(s) in WNY and, if you can recall, what retailers were you looking in for 1952 Topps cards? It is of some interest to me, because, as a tyke, I never could find 1952 Topps cards in any of the stores in my old hometown of Auburn, NY. Plenty of Bowman, but the only '52 Topps I saw were in the collections of obnoxious little rich kids who were able to trek to NYC to do their gumcard shopping.
Hi Steve---

I grew up in Attica ('46-'53) & moved to the Southern Tier (Wellsville) in 1953 thru HS in 1958. I looked for & bought cards from Buffalo to Wellsville & small towns in between. Most cards were found in Mom & Pop grocery/variety stores, drugstores like Rexall or independents & the "Five & Dime" stores (JJ Newberry, Woolworth, Kresge's)

When we went on summer vacations I looked for cards (Exhibits in machines in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk, Bowmans in their home in Philadelphia, various places in NY City, stores in Florida, etc, etc.

Every place had Bowman & I found Red & Blue Back & Connie Mack Topps in
1951 & in '52 Topps were just about everywhere too, but NEVER did I find any ABOVE #250! Didn't even know they existed until years later!

By 1953 Topps were easier to find & I put the whole set together w/ no problem! (Still have them!)

Over the yrs I have heard that '52 Highs were found often in Canada, but they sure never trickled down to the Buffalo/WNY area!