View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Jim Smiley

Default I promise this is my last one this morning...

As I post, more contracts come to mind. These are Gehrig-related in a way. I've put links to the players' pages if you want to see these pieces and more on the website.

Everett Scott held the consecutive games played more before Lou Gehrig surpassed it. Interestingly, Pee Wee Wanninger played a part in each streak. He was inserted at shortstop by Miller Huggins to end Scott's streak in May, 1925. Four weeks later, Gehrig pinch hit for Wanninger to start his own streak. Below is Wanninger's contract for that 1925 season - Wanninger's first in the big leagues. These kind of stories is what makes collecting so fun.

The other Wanninger contract is from 1924 and assigns him to the minors before he made his MLB debut.

The Eddie Collins signed contract regards Babe Dahlgren in Boston before he became a Yankee. Dahlgren or course was the man who started in place of Gehrig to end his streak.

For me, collecting autographs and memorabilia is fun, but it's the stories that make the pieces come to life. I try to have an uncommon and interesting piece on each guy.

Thanks for "listening" and indulging. I hope everyone is doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wanniger-contract-447x1024.jpg (5.4 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg wanninger-early-630x1024.jpg (9.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg eddie-collins-babe-dahlgren-791x1024.jpg (11.3 KB, 147 views)