View Single Post
Old 11-06-2001, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default Is It Just Me ..........

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I have a couple N172's that are pink hues that are graded. One is a 60 and one is an 80. I think that SGC tended, on these cards, to grade the corners and back at a higher rate than the front. Don't know what the correct answer is. As someone submitting, obviously I'd like to get as high a grade as possible for potential sale in the future (if I do). The pink hued cards have far less photo clarity than do the normal sepia tinted cards. I wondered if the pink hued cards were as a result of the manufacturing process and I find the idea of adding a dye to the chemicals pretty intriguing (sp?). Or wondered if the pink hued cards just don't hold up as well over the years. If that's the case, what'll they look like in another 50 years? Guess I probably won't have to worry about that...........I kind of like the pink cards (if the photo quality is somewhat decent). I've gotten SGC84 on sepia cards that also don't have the best clarity but have razor sharp corners. I don't think that there's any REAL rhyme or reason to grading when it comes to N172's. While I don't like PSA overall, I do think they take into consideration the clarity of the photo more than SGC. Enough rambling for today. I think it's a little strong of a grade. I would have tended in the SGC60-SGC70 range before an 80. Based on previous auctions of Mordecai's, I'm sure the price is in the $250-300 range which I would say is fair for a regular SGC80 but maybe high for this card.