View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Default possible junior team

The 1869 Red Stockings were only one of the teams from Cincinnati at that time period. You did not say he was claiming it was that team, but it clearly is not. It could be what was known as the junior team, which existed at least in 68 and 69 and probably from 1866 to 1871 or beyond. There is a photo of the 68 junior team in Ellard's, Base Ball in Cincinnati, but this not that team either. However, the "C" is very similar, and may be the same. ( The uniforms for the 1869 team were made by a woman from Cincinnati ) In addition, the hats are very different from both the 1869 team and the 1868 junior team. The Ellard book does have a list of members of the Cincinnati Base Ball club from 1866 to 1871, so if you have the last name it can be checked. I believe the list includes everyone who was a member, whether they played or not. The "c" similarity is the best thing going for it. Their may be other photos of the junior teams, but I do not have them at hand. I have the Ellard book and would be happy to look it up.