View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Keith Olberman shows some guts and is right on the money

Posted By: George Altemose

I think Howard Rosenberg is being quite magnanimous when he manufactures excuses for Keith Olbermann, on the basis that Olbermann is a TV and radio “personality,” and is therefore entitled to make stupid remarks that he would never put in writing.

Whether Keith Olbermann has said more stupid things than he has written is a matter for conjecture, and learning the answer to that question is certainly not worth the effort. Clearly no one has mistaken Olbermann for Grantland Rice. In this particular outrage, Mr. Olbermann, who is a member of SABR, apparently (according to tbob) took it upon himself to publicly denigrate a most worthy and honorable organization, based on a totally erroneous premise, because, as usual, he failed to do his homework. And homework, of course, is SABR’s middle name.

I think that Keith Olbermann has a small coterie of uninformed and gullible listeners, who believe what he says (or writes), because he is a famous TV and radio personality. Some of them may also be impressed by the size or value of his baseball card collection. However, none of these attributes is especially compatible with the goals and values of SABR, which emphasize careful research prior to reaching conclusions. Therefore, I find Keith Olbermann’s promise to resign from SABR to be his most reasonable statement in recent memory, and I hope that he will be sufficiently honorable not to renege.