View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Default WOW! PSA! T206 DOYLE! WOW!!!!!

Posted By: CoreyRSh.anus

"Why erase "Magie, Phila. Nat'l", when all you need to erase is the 1st "e" in Magee ? "

To answer your question, I think T206Collector says it very well -- "....but it is pretty clear that the counterfeiter decided to erase the entire bottom and retype it as opposed to adding the lettering "Nat'l" -- obviously it is easier to pick up two different fonts with them side-by-side. Rewriting the whole thing over means you'd have to either eye-ball it, or lay it next to another authentic card."

As a practical matter, IF you had a forger that really was expert at what he does (as well as knows the correct back to use), it would seem that to the UNAIDED eye, it will not be possible to distinguish a fake Magie or Doyle Nat'l from a real one. Presumably examination of the dot matrix pattern under high magnification would reveal the fake, but do grading companies do that type of analysis? The other way -- chemical analysis of the inks comprising the lettering -- I am certain they do not do. So short of looking at it the old fashioned way -- the card's pedigree -- I'd be very leery of buying a Magie or a Doyle Nat'l.