View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default O/T Whats wrong with baseball today

Posted By: Mike

I think there should be a set league salary and players get incentives based on hits RBI's etc etc and lose pay for other things. If they hit a certain level in a category they would get compensated even more. It would take quite some time to iron out all the details of course but it needs to be done. I wasn't complaining about Stairs getting that money or contract moreso what Riccardi said about him deserving that contract. What if he doesnt even hit 200 next year? Does he deserve a cut in pay? Players need to be paid based on how they perform THIS year not on how they performed 3 years ago. Big deal a guy hits 320 with 35 HR's and 100 RBI's in 2003 and gets a huge contract and his team doesnt make the World Series once over the life of the contract and the guy never gets to those numbers again is that fair to the team?
IMHO the entire system needs to be rethought in baseball from ROY voting to All Star voting gold gloves everything needs to be rethought most of the awards are a joke in baseball.

Of course Torre called it a slap in the face it is an insult in todays baseball world for him to get a performance based contract. Most ballplayers would say my idea is a slap in their faces as well heaven forbid they actually need to work and perform to get their money and the chances of the MLBPAA agreeing to such a deal are about as good as myself becoming a hall of famer but something needs to be done because at the pace we are going with contracts getting out of hand and prices getting jacked up to compensate for those contracts there won't be any fans left to go to the games cause none of us would be able to afford to go.