View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Jackie Robinson Auto - 1st East-West MLK Baseball Classic

Posted By: Paul S

Gee, I walk away from my computer for a couple of hours and look what happens! DavidCB is providing me good information with solid whys and wherefors -- info I would not have known since this area is not something I really deal with, and it is a learning experience for me regardless of my intentions for the piece(s). David is simply offering his expertise, which is something I asked for in my initial post. Thanks Cycle!

Probably any regular user of this forum knows quite well what his or her (your specimen here) sells for, authenticated and unauthenticated, however obtained, and the best light to present it in. I would be disungenous, uh..disengenius...er, well, not completely upfront(!) if I said I wasn't curious what the maximized value of this would be. So although it is not for sale, anyone may feel free to chime in with their 2 cents, so to speak.

So yay- and- naysayers feel free to duke out the rest on here without wandering too far OT. Although some of the philosophical discussions were addressed by one of my earlier posts, here's another way to look at it: The piece means a lot to me, but not necessarily to my son, who is ambivalent about baseball and heavily into soccer -- let him cut across a soccer stadium and get Pele's! What if something happens to me and Jackie is now in his possession. Technically the pieces mean nothing to him, and he's got plenty else to remember me by. I've done the work for him if he feels he wants to sell it. He otherwise wouldn't have a clue where to begin, but I do. (There was a great discussion about this sort of thing not long ago on the pre-war board.) So, the certificates are on the back and he's good to go. Me, I don't need the auths inside the framebox. (Barry Sloate, he's bringing the cards to you!)