View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Could someone explain the "soaking" process completely? It sounds like you put a card in water, is that true ? I can't believe the card wouldn't soak up the water and be ruined , waterlogged and wrinkled. When is it useful to "soak" ? Thanks for the help.
It sounds counter intuitive but in general it works well. If you have a card with scrapbook residue and has most likely been glued with pre 1940 glue, you completely submerge the card in luke warm water and the glue loosens allowing the scrapbook residue to be removed. Keep in mind that you only leave it in long enough for the paper to be removed and the glue to dissolve. After doing so, pat dry with paper towels and the place in paper towels in a book to keep the card from wrinkling and remove excess water. You should periodically change the towels for a couple of days until the card is dry.

With all this said, not all cards soak well. I soaked a T205 yesterday and it did well but I did find that the ink on the back was more fragile than other cards that I have soaked in my limited experience. So far I have soaked W572 strip cards, 1929 exhibit postcards, and now T205 with great success. Pick and choose your cards and start with a beater if you do it. It is not all that difficult to do and the results can be very rewarding. There was a big thread on soaking in the not too far past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.7 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by kmac32; 01-17-2016 at 12:29 PM.