View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Could use some guidance for long time Ebay vets

I have a near set from 1970. It is missing 27 cards - 3.8% of the cards - but there are a couple of heavy hitters in the 27

It is missing Bench, Rose, Pilots team, Munson, the Ryan playoff card and the rest are commons.

By value, the missing cards represent 13.4% of the set.

It is a nice mid grade set. There are several very nice, well centered cards and there are a couple of stinkers. (the banks has a crease).

I had a 450 card lot from 70 and broke it out and sold about half of them, but the demand dried up. I would like to sell this as a near set lot. i.e. if by this condition, this would be an 800 dollar set when complete, then 86.4% is 691 dollars. So, I think that I could get $600-$650 for it and someone could quickly complete it and have it complete pretty cheaply. A dealer would probably want to be in the $350 to $400 range, but a set collector might see value and get to $600.

So here is the question -
Should I do this as a no reserve auction and hold my breath and hope that it doesn't end up selling for $150 because there are no views and no action? Should I put it up for $650 OBO and know that it could sit for a while waiting for the right buyer?

I would really like to move it. I don't want to give it away, however, I already have it complete, so there is no joy in holding onto it - just want to do the right price in the right format.

Another option would be for me to spend a hundred bucks to buy the 27 cards and sell it complete. I am not against that plan, but it doesn't seem very appealing if I am just going to turn right around and sell it - however, it might capture a lot larger market (and retail buyers versus wholesale) if it is sold as complete.

Thanks for any input.
Kevin

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set