View Single Post
Old 06-26-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
There are 7 subjects from this group that have yet to be discovered. I expect these T206's will eventually be found with BROAD LEAF 460 backs......

Chase (blue).................................super-print

TED Z

T206 Reference

Ted, I wanted to add this to the thread, for reference. You were 100% correct about the existence of a Broad Leaf 460 Chase with the blue background-- I just had one graded this month.
I have very much appreciated your posts along with the extraordinary amount of information you have collected and shared regarding the T206 set. Thanks so much for helping further the knowledge base for these wonderful cards!

EDIT: I've been asked about the backstory. I was into baseball and baseball cards in the 1980's. A collection of T206, T205, and T210 were owned by a family member and passed on to me. At that time we didn't have information readily available and the price guides were based on condition only. I had noticed the difference in the backs (brand of cigarette, series, factory) and wanted to find out more. The lack of information meant my mom drove us an hour to meet with a card dealer who specialized in pre-war cards. As Ted has posted previously, there was basically no interest in back variations in that time period. And, unless it was a big card (Cobb, Young, Magie, etc) the collectors like Ted were seeking sharp corners and no stains. Also, you couldn't bring up population reports, or surveys, to determine rarity with a few clicks and keystrokes. We spent around an hour with the dealer and I can't remember exactly what he offered, but they valued my 300+ cards low enough that my teenage brain just decided to take them home and enjoy them. I am thanking myself every night.

EDIT#2: The card was sold before posting. I don't want to divulge too much, I'm letting the buyer make the decision to go public with ownership. I had a feeling this would attract some attention so I was hesitant to post on the thread, and if it had been anyone but Ted Z I would have stayed silent. With as much work as he's done, his theory deserved the validation!

Last edited by UncleStu; 06-26-2023 at 04:55 PM.