View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster View Post
Another postcard requiring some experts to help ID the players. I've identified the ballpark as the old wooden version of League Park and the players also appear to be wearing 1909 Cleveland home uniforms. The action seems to be a rundown between 1st and 2nd with Lajoie probably playing 2nd base. Bob Rhoads pitcher?
Jim - so I took some time to look into this one. I agree that the player (pitcher) in the back is wearing a 1909 (or earlier) Cleveland home uniform. Then I thought to check to see which umpire that is. From there I figured I can find home games where that ump, umped first base.

The ump in that pc looks pretty young. In 1909 Billy Evans was 25. The next youngest ump was Bull Perrine at 32. So maybe it's Evans. He umped either solo (from behind the pitchers mound?) or 1B thirteen times in Cleveland in 1909. Against six different teams. So now let's look at the base runner's uniform.

Checking Dressed to the Nines, I am having a hard time placing the base runner's uniform. I'll spare everyone the details but according to that book, no AL team had white/gray caps with that thin stripe for their road jerseys, except Chicago. But their road jerseys were dark.

So I dunno Jim. I do think the first baseman could be the big right handed George Stovall, the second sacker could be Lajoie and even Rhodes the pitcher, but I am not sure how to take any of this further.

If anyone can confirm the team uniform of the base runner that could only help whittle it down a bit. And that's IF we think it's Billy Evans. (See pic below of him from 1910)

Hope this helps? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n54pcevans1910.jpg (68.4 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg n54pc.jpg (73.7 KB, 985 views)

Last edited by WillowGrove; 02-19-2019 at 02:07 PM.