View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default 1st March Pickup thread

Posted By: Joe_G.

As most here know, I collect 19th Century Detroit, in particular, items relating to the 1887 Championship team. Lately (~2 years ago), I broadened my scope to include cards of Detroit players who were never pictured with Detroit. Sy Sutcliffe is one such player, he played 4 games with Detroit in 1887, the last four Championship games after Bennett was injured. Charlie Ganzel would normally catch when Bennett wasn't available but he was covering 1st for the "lame" Dan Brouthers. So Detroit signed him with 4 games left in the 15 game World Championship (Detroit already having won 8 games hence crowned World Champions before Sutcliffe signed). Sutcliffe would stay with Detroit during 1888 and then went to Cleveland with several other Detroits after the team disbanded.

So here he is, the fifth and final pose was purchased recently and still needs to be graded (thanks Toby). It might raise the average grade just a bit Nothing really tough about these cards, just thought I'd post them all together since I hadn't previously.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski