View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Default This forum is top notch

I thought I knew alot about tobacco cards until I came to find this forum. I've learned just about everything I know concerning 19th century material here on the board or from board members privately. The negativity is only a smalll portion oi what goes on here , luckily. Other forums I have read seem a bit more high schoolish than this forum, in that there is a lot of bragging and name calling on them. I'm not sure of the whole background on the "flipping" post, but I was really surprised to see that the particular board member who was being assailed decided to sell his collection of rare backs. I think I can relate to some of what he was saying about not having anyone to talk to about this stuff. When I started collecting pre-war stuff most of my friends were in to the modern day cards. I couldn't just go down to the card shop and talk about T206's or Old Judge cards, or even baseball history. Even my own brother was no fun to talk to about cards, as he seemed more interested in the $$$ aspect of the hobby back then. I eventually met some guys who were in SABR though, and they also collected older material...thenm the internet came along and I found Net54.
I agree that the forum is unrivaled as far as it's wealth of information about the card collecting hobby. The BST area offers an escape from Ebay and there is always someting interesting for sale. I'm not an advanced collector with a lot of $$ to spend on high dollar or high profile cards, but I can see them here and admire other peoples collections which I would never have had the opportunity to see had it not been for Net54. I hope this forum does not degenerate into what I've seen on other forums recently. I think the moderators do a good job in weeding out troublemakers here, so I have confidence Net54 will remain the top vintage card forum on the net ( that's my opinion of course)