View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I guess you misunderstood me. If I determine I'm willing to pay 120 then it doesn't matter that the market value is 100. I might not even know what the market value is when determining what I'm willing to pay. I used those numbers as examples to illustrate a point but I guess it wasn't clear enough. I definitely see your point of how an established market value might sway your decision but at the end of the day it's still up to you how much you're willing to spend.

Edited to add:
I can give you a specific example of this theory. There was a signed card I wanted for a set I'm working that had a current bid of $20- something at the time I discovered it. I was willing to pay $150 for it, which I felt was probably far more than it was worth, but was the figure I determined I'd be comfortable paying. I bid the 150 and ended up getting the item for slightly over $50. Had I gotten it for $149.99 I would have been just as happy. Market value was nothing more than an afterthought when deciding what to pay. If someone else wanted it more, I would have been disappointed sure, but also comfortable in the fact that I wasn't willing to pay what it would have taken to win.

Last edited by dgo71; 11-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.