Thread: Bid increments
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
100% agree. beyond stupid. Certainly losing me on lots of auctions.

I buy most of my stuff on e-bay, but saw something I liked at one of the big auctions houses. Current bid was $5,000. Bid tab only let me put in $5,500 and select "up-to" bid. i actually wanted to bid at $5,700, but the bid software wouldn't let me. It was either $5,500 or $6,050 becasue of the increments

So I clicked on $5,500, which would force the next bidder to $6,050, and with the 20% buyers fee, would put them over the value of the item. Still with me?

so my bid goes in and the price goes to $5,240 and i'm current high bidder. Good, I've got some room for the shillers. Go back to my day job as I don't have time for the idoitic mulitple closing of the auction. Check in for the final price and it sales for $5,650.00. Wait a minute. WTF? How could another bidder only be 2% over my high bid. I had to put in 10% increments but someone else gets 2%?

I'm done with this BS. You essentially need two accounts to find the sweet spot for bid values. Or get a degree in bid increment analytics. This is a enjoyable hobby for me, not school. Can't wait for most of these AH's to be put to rest by PWCC.
That sounds like Clean Sweep. They topped your ceiling (which was not known at the time). If they do that, the increment can be whatever. If the ceiling is KNOWN, then the next increment is 10%.