View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Mr. Berg, truly a tour de force trio you have there, my fellow collecting warrior! After all, since you're the gentleman who initiated this extremely popular thread, precisely 2 1/2 years ago this Saturday, I think it's most fitting.

There are few cards whereby a PSA 3 would definitely, and defiantly, be considered high-grade, but regarding any 1953-55 Stahl-Meyer Franks, when a studious collector discovers how these precious cards were issued, and ponders the ramifications...; I mean---the gorgeous paraffin-coated card was inserted between two rows of wet franks, then wrapped in cellophane, hurriedly packed in crates to be taken by company deliverymen to grocers, meat markets, delis and a few of the new supermarkets where they were packed in ice coolers. There they would languish for a few hours to a few days, until purchased by a customer, taken home, and at some point prepared for supper. Once the package was opened, and the free prize cum package stiffener was freed from its frankfurter prison, the prize now looked more than a little worse for wear----smished to creases! There's more-----after marinating in watery, greasy, and colorful red frankfurter juice du jour, a fresh and PERMANENT stain streak from each frankfurter would bare witness of the free prize's future as a PSA 1 POOR specimen! Juice du jour... da jerk that thunk that one up should have been drawn and quarter-pounded! Your exquisite 1954 has particularly strong bluish-purple background color, and the way it highlights Mickey's elegant portrait is truly perfection!!!!! Studying your 1954 beauty, I believe it was well taken cared of, and likely purchased shortly after delivery to a market by Stahl-Meyer.

Methinks this gem will be one of those acquisitions you will always remember. In fact, why not consider writing up your thoughts and feelings about your auction experience in an article for SPORTS MARKET REPORT, with scans of your card courtesy REA, and submit it to them. Granted, PSA's mag featured the Stahl-Meyers directly after the 2016 National Convention; the Kevin Glew article was decent, with substantiation of some of my original research findings from early in this millennium. Nevertheless, with your latest Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle achievement fresh in your mind, your personal anecdotes, feelings, observations, and valuations as a Mantle connoisseur would be noteworthy, I should think. Let's face it, this isn't some hum-drum gum ...; rather, a piece de resistance.

From all I have read and studied, the Stahl-Meyer all-beef frankfurters were spectacular hot dogs. No wonder they were granted a contract to serve them at Ebbets Field, the Polo Grounds, and Yankee Stadium!

Just an idea to help you savor them, Dave, why not go on You Tube and watch the original telecast of the 1952 World Series, Game 7 (in its entirety no less!), or if you want to enjoy a much shorter magical moment, type 1953 World Series Mickey Mantle grand slam. The black 'n white quality is super. No doubt a bunch of Yankee fans were enjoying a Stahl-Meyer hot dog just as Mickey slugged Monk Meyer's pitch.

Again, heartiest of congratulations, friend. ---- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 11-25-2018 at 08:09 PM.