View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
FWIW up until the hoards of Ott checks entered the market primarily thru Hunt auctions the last 2 years Ott checks were rare and commanded a premium price ; however , this dumping of Ott checks has drastically reduced the price for signed items such as checks and album pages and cuts . The prices for his vintage/ playing days full name Melvin Ott signature are still strong on album pages and 3x5s. The prices for Ott signed photos, contracts , TLS , HLS , and SS baseballs are still strong and basically unaffected by the checks entering the market. The checks helped reduce the price on entry level collecting of Ott items on checks, which are desired by most collectors but are now affordable for all basic collectors.
Thanks for that analysis, Kevin. My gut feel, watching these large lots of Ott checks this year, is that they will follow the trend that the Cobb checks did. Most of you probably remember the large lots of Cobb checks that were released 8-10 years ago (my dates may be off) - the price dropped and now they are being sold individually and getting $1,000 or so each. I think the Ott checks might keep going down until they are all auctioned, but then should creep back up to $700 or so in a few years.

Obviously I'm just guessing.