View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Mark,
I think market value and market price are 2 different things. I disagree with your thought that either are set by the player. Even in Jeter's case, the price for modern days athletes are still dictated by the market. If no one purchased Jeter's auto at these prices, Steiner would lower them or cancel the contract they have with him. Same for anyone else, if people stopped paying these prices for the players at shows or through private signings, the prices would come down. The marketplace also sets his value on the secondary market as on ebay I have seen very few items, of any player, sell from close to what Steiner originally sold that same them for.

Mark
I agree to a point and maybe I should append my initial thought a little. The player does influence the market value of his signature, the value is not equivalent to the price they charge, but it is impacted by it.

Just a small example would be that Jeter charges north of $400 for a ball at a signing (or has in the past, I don't know what his current rate is for live signings). Whereas Frank Thomas charges around $100 for a ball at a signing. A Jeter ball can not be had for less than $200 typically, where as a Thomas signed ball can be found for between $50-$60 pretty frequently.

There is definitely an effect on the value of an autographed, based on what a player charges for it.

Last edited by markf31; 07-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.