View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownscollector78 View Post
I save a lot of items as well but put them in my "Wish List" on Ebay. That way my watch list is cleared up and I can watch items I really want that are bid items. Like previously noted, I just use Gavel Snipe to do the bidding.

Putting a small bid on an item to discourage a seller from ending the listing early....interesting idea. However in my experience, that has never worked.

The reason I asked the initial question is that people just drive up the prices during the auction by bidding so early. If those who really wanted it waited until the end, they could get it cheaper.
I'm not familiar with the wish list. I thought it was for stuff you want but can't find listed? I'll have to check it out.

I don't know if the small bid to discourage early ending works or not. Probably not, but it at least makes someone cancel a bid and just maybe wonder what the max bid really was.

The bids I place to use the bid list as watching overflow are usually so small that they have nearly no effect on the final price. Like if an auction starts at .99 and it's an item I think will sell for $100 I might bid anywhere from .99- $10. The one I won was a stamp that catalogued around $20 and started at .99 Which was all I bid. It should have sold for much closer to 20 since the centering was really nice.

Almost all the stuff I have in watching is stuff I might bid on. Budget makes me choose which ones, especially in winter. Big old house=large oil bill.
Come spring I'll probably clear about 10 BINs that I just can't justify at the moment.
Sometimes other people make the decision for me, like the bike I wanted that started at $100 which would have been a fantastic buy. It got to $1500 by the time it had 3 days left. That's when I saved off the pics and deleted it from watching.

Steve B