View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
Appreciate your comments and, wholehardly, agree. Back in the 80's and 90's I was buying boxes and putting together sets. I was having fun - then - first, I bought a box of probably 91 Upper Deck and did not get a card in the 600 series in the entire box, then, the subsets started coming out - when 1 of 1 started coming out I quit as I realized I could never finish a set and started into vintage Cubs. I have subsequently sent my surplus to auction just to pare down what I had. I still have fun only not as much as when I was opening packs. My kids and grandkids get me some packs to open every Christmas and I subsequently send those off also. Your comment about what difference did it make it it was a 9.5 or higher is the same thought I had. If it was truly a 1 of 1 it shouldn't make any difference. I also am with you on the "quid pro quo" statement.
Right back at you on appreciation. And your story is exactly what has been happening to the hobby over the decades. When growing up, packs of cards for a nickel, dime, or quarter were available nearly everywhere you went. And easily accessible to kids who wanted them not for the possibility of selling them to make money, but because they wanted to pull cards of their favorite players/teams. Sure isn't like that today, or what it has been like over the past couple decades now. And don't really know of any younger, modern collectors that are true "set" collectors at all. Like you said, it seems impossible to reasonably collect and complete modern sets, with all the subsets, limited edition cards, and so on in the products released anymore.