View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Another 19th Century Research Project

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I have read a lot of 19th century books printed in Germany, and a lot of later 20th century books printed in Germany. Also handwriting in German from both centuries. With reference to the two OTHER cards (The "Mother" and "father"):

1) The line at the bottom of the back is printed in a German style rarely used any more--many modern readers of German have trouble with it. It says: "The original plate" (I assume this means glass plate--anyway, the original plate-"of this photo will be supplied for additional payment." (All in very polite form). But this doesn't of course mean it wasn't printed in a German community in the U.S!
2) HOWEVER, "Bonn" has been a very important city in Germany for a long time, and is here presented WITHOUT the name of the country. It is unlikely that a U.S. "Bonn" would be mentioned without the name of the state.
3) The handwriting (guess there's no question about this anyhow) is NOT that of a German of the time--I can't read a word of 19th century German script. Even that of a German writing in English!

4) The Language of the back of the card is definitely German; "Str" stands for "Strasse," never "Street." The name of the street, ending in "zer," is also strictly German. And the line of print at the bottom of course.