View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Val Kehl

Dave, below are pics of my 1924 Diaz card of Warren H. "Curly" Ogden. If you would like me to email you scans of this card, send me a PM with your email address.

"Curly" Ogden, whose brother John/"Jack" also pitched in the Majors, had a 5-year MLB career, with an overall W-L record of 18-19 and a 3.79 ERA. He had his best year in 1924, after being acquired by the Senators via waivers from the Athletics in May of that year. Despite frequent sore-arm trouble, his 9-5 record, which included 3 shutouts, helped the Senators win their first AL pennant, by 2 games over the Yankees.

"Ogden became part of World Series lore in 1924 when Washington manager Bucky Harris started him in Game Seven as a ploy to fool Giants manager John McGraw. The idea was to get McGraw to play rookie first baseman Bill Terry and other left-hand batters against the right-handed Ogden, so that Harris then could bring in lefty George Mogridge. Terry, 6-for-12 at that point in the series, had not been playing against left-handers. The ruse worked. McGraw put Terry in the lineup, and Harris watched Ogden strike out Freddie Lindstrom and walk Frankie Frisch before bringing in his left-hander, who had warmed up secretly below the grandstands. The Nationals, behind the relief pitching of Walter Johnson, won in 12 innings to capture the team’s lone world championship."

The above quote is from SABR's bio of Ogden, which is an interesting read - here's the link for anyone whom I've enticed to read more: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/afe5378e
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Ogden - front.jpg (78.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Ogden - back.jpg (78.3 KB, 96 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.