View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Please post pictures of James O'Rourke baseball cards, photos and memorabilia

Posted By: Brad Green

Here are more details of what O'Rourke's great-great-grandson is looking for. He really does appreciate all of your help! If you don't want to post it here, please send it to me and I'll forward it to him. Thanks! Brad

This is from the great-great-grandson:

"The only 'recent' cards I still need are the:
1. HOF Artvue type 1 postcard and
2. 1973 Giants TCMA 1886 set including O'Rourke, which I've found very hard to locate. It is a reprint of the 1886 New York team and there are 14 cards in the set.
They shouldn't be too expensive so I'd like to purchase those, but a scan is the next best option.

Using the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards as a guide, I made a list of James O'Rourke cards for which I would like to obtain an image (front and back if possible).

I have many low resolution and blurry scans of older cards including N172 and N173 cards. The cards themselves don't have to be perfect, but it would be helpful if the scan has good quality resolution.

Here is the list:

1886 J. Wood Studio N.Y. Giants Cabinets. (One version of card had caps artificially added.)
1886 Lorillard Team Cards, card # 3, New York League Base Ball Club
1886 New York Baseball Club (H812). These are 'Trade Cards' printed on paper, not cardboard.
1886 Old Judge New York Giants (N167), Orator Jim O'Rourke. The first issue by Goodwin &Co.
1886 W.H. Sanders New York Baseball Club (H812), are 'Trade Cards' printed on paper, not cardboard.
1887 Gypsy Queen (N175), Orator Jim O'Rourke, Fielding
1888 Yum Yum Tobacco (N403) / Portrait
1888 Yum Yum Tobacco (N403) / With bat

1887-1890 Old Judge (N172) Jim O'Rourke, New York, N.L.
Bat in hand at side, C., New Yorks.
Bat in hand at side, 3d B., New Yorks.
Bat in hand at side, 3d B. N.Y's.
Bat in hand at side, 3d B., N.Y's.
Batting, 3d B., New Yorks.
Batting, 3d B., N.Y's.
Fielding, 3d B. N.Y's.
Throwing, 3d B., N.Y's.

1888-1889 Old Judge Cabinets (N173), Jim O'Rourke
366a. New York, bat in hand at side
366b. New York, batting
366c. New York, throwing, hand head-high

O'Rourke's son Jimmie (James Jr.) also played baseball and I'm looking for a few images of him as well.

Jimmie O'Rourke cards (son of Orator James O'Rourke):
1911 T5 Pinkerton Cabinets, Jimmie O'Rourke
1908 NY Highlanders (precursor to Yankees) photo including Jimmie. He played in the majors only from 8-15-1908 to 10-8-1908.
and
1908 Sporting Life Team Composite of the New York, American League team. The card set is W601 and New York's composite is card # 13 in the SCBC Guide.

I also try to collect at least one team photo or team composite for each year O'Rourke played, and made a list of those I still need. I may have to make a trip to the National Baseball Library to locate the team photos, but maybe someone already has one.

TEAM and / or O'Rourke INDIVIDUAL picture from:
1872 Middletown Mansfields (Connecticut)
1880 Boston Red Caps. James & his brother John played on the same team and are probably in the same team photo.
1881 Buffalo Bisons
1883 Buffalo Bisons
1884 Buffalo Bisons
1887 New York Giants
1890 New York PLAYERS LEAGUE
1891 New York Giants
1893 Washington Senators
Thanks to everybody for their help!!
It is much appreciated!"