View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 04:02 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Jay -- Here is the link to the NYPL website that shows the image (and allows enlargement for closer inspection): https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/...0-e00a18064a99

When comparing the image to the trade card image, they clearly appear to be the identical shot. As such, almost certainly the mammoth plate was reshot to create the trade card. To do the reverse would result in a noticeable degradation in the mammoth plate's resolution.

I am aware of no known CdVs of the 1870 Mutuals or White Stockings, which I find interesting. Other than mammoth plate size (none of which I know to have survived), they exist only in P & S trade card format. I wonder if P & S owned the negative and publication rights to these two images. The only 1970 P & S trade card known in conventional CdV format (i.e., having no advertising other than identification of the studio that took the image) is the 1870 Athletics. That image though is a composite, which is a significant distinction and consistent with this theory as one would expect a studio more than a sporting goods company to be the copyright owner of an image that requires shots of multiple individual players.

Last edited by benjulmag; 04-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.