View Single Post
Old 02-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default "perfection-challenged" old tobacco cards

Posted By: petecld

I will agree with you 100% they are facinating and do give you a great insight into the production process. When these production errors are called "printer scrap","errors","miscuts",etc. then I don't have any problem. They are being labeled correctly and if someone feels they are worth a premium - wonderful! I don't have the desire to prize someone's errors so I don't put a premium on them but that is just me. A card with color missing is simply just that - a card with color missing.

I do have aproblem when sellers calling them proofs. I proof is a specific item and I can see how they would be prized by collectors. They are almost always one-of-a-kind and served a specific part in the marketing/production process.

I don't know why some people are justfied calling a card a proof because it isn't finished with the printing process and cut to size and then somehow these "proofs" get sprinkled with fairy dust and become "cards" and then put into cigarette packs. ??? Sorry fir the smart a** "fairy dust" thing, like I said, this bugs me.

Would you buy a car that rolled right off the assembly line but was missing the paint? Would you call that car a proof and use it as the standard for all other cars off that line to look to? I don't think so.

Printer's proofs are never massed produced the same way the cards are. In the coin field, YES, proofs are mass produced and are an idealized version of the coin and STILL are producd differently then the coins we find in our pockets & in our couches so why would someone think a card with missing colors is some kind of proof?!!!

They only serve as "PROOF" that the printers were human and made mistakes. I'm not knocking the printers either. Honestly, considering the quantity that T206 cards that were obviously made back then I'm surprised we don't see more of these errors.