Thread: Hometown Heros
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Barry Sloate

I've had two primary residences in my life and each has boasted a famous athlete.

I grew up in Cedarhurst, NY, a town in the southwestern corner of Long Island. During my sophomore year at Lawrence High School, our very successful football team was anchored by Lyle Alzado. Lyle was an absolute terror and the best player in the county. I was terrified of him, and whenever I saw him in the hallway I would walk the other way. He once threatened to beat me up (he thought my hair was too long) but fortunately forgot about it by the next day. We all thought he would end up in prison or worse. Luckily, he was able to channel his anger and volatility into a fine NFL career.

For the past forty years I've lived in the Cobble Hill/Brooklyn Heights area. Our most famous athlete was Jim Creighton. Creighton lived and died at his parents' home at 307 Henry Street, about four blocks away. During his years with the Brooklyn Excelsiors, he walked a few blocks to their clubhouse at 133 Clinton Street (I live on Clinton St. too, several blocks south). There is currently a plaque on the front of the building that mentions him and the great Excelsior team. When he died there was a funeral procession through the neighborhood, it was a pretty big event.

Two athletes who had little in common except they both died too young.