View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 02:06 PM
M!ke S@il£r

I would think the technology should exist that a card could be scanned by a TPG, and they would have some type of record that the card was already submitted in the past or the wrong card is in the holder. It would be a similar technology in which peoples identity can be recognized by facial recognition software. For example, it I think the technology should exist that if someone submits a raw Art Shell card, the company could immediately tell from a simple scan that the card once resided in a PSA 8 holder and wouldn't be as quick to bump the card up.

Now, the price for this technology would obviously impact the cost of grading and you would have to have some type of cooperation with all TPG companies. I'm not sure how much of an appetite exists for that considering the vast majority of collectors don't play in this universe.

I know a few years ago, there was an individual that was trying to sell people the idea of taking detailed pictures to get a forensic history of a card. I do think there might be a market for some type of higher-end grading service, especially with high-dollar cards. IMO, as the fraudsters get better and better, collectors will require more proof that they are buying legitimate cards before plunking down large amounts of money.

Last edited by vintagecpa; 08-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.