View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 03:06 AM
Kevin Petitpas

I keep seeing the SGC video referenced earlier in the thread, are we talking about the Sports Card Investor tour of the office?

Because they never actually showed the grading room. They showed basically every department BUT the grading room.

The rooms full of college age looking people were the research and assembly departments. Identifying cards, prepping them for slabbing, shipping, etc. Nobody in that video was actually grading a card.

In a follow-up video where the SCI guy had some cards graded they actually brought out one of the senior graders (who was not present in any of the other rooms they visited) to explain why his cards got the grades they did and he was a middle aged guy who had been grading with the company for years and years. That’s not to say there aren’t 20-30 year olds in the grading department but I would almost bet anything that they’re not handling the higher profile or vintage stuff. They’re probably cutting their teeth looking at 200 of the same 2019 Topps base card and grading ultra modern stuff all day.

If you need to see 50+ year old people prepping and slabbing cards to be satisfied with the grading process well, I don’t know what to tell you.