View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM

As Todd mentioned earlier, Jimmy was the General Manager of the minor league Roanoke Buckskins football team, 1969-71. (I couldn't remember the years, so I Googled it!)

So, it must have been about 1970 when I was in Roanoke (not far from where I lived), and thought I'd stop by and pay Jimmy a visit. I didn't have an appointment or anything, just stopped in at the team office - he was there, and he seemed happy to have a visitor.

We must have sat and talked about two hours. I told him I didn't know a whole lot (or cared much) about football, so he asked me about Roanoke. I was about 20, so how much could I tell him. But I did tell him that the Red Sox had a farm team there in the 1940s-early 1950s, which he remembered, then I mentioned some of the RoSox players, and we talked about them.

And he went into great detail telling me that the old hotel/office building where the Buckskins office was, had been used as a bordello back in the 1930s-40s. He said lots of folks he had met since he came to town had told him about that.

Then he signed a few cards that I'd brought along, and he pulled a few photos out of his desk drawer and signed them for me, too. All in all, a nice way to spend an afternoon. And he sure seemed like a great guy.

RIP, Jimmy!