View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Todd Schultz

Default It's a no brainer

The dead giveaway is the card back. The advertisement faces the wrong way--no TSN m101-4 faces that direction.

This card is not a reprint, but a copy of a legitimate Ruth m101-4 front, and copy of a legit m101-4 back. I would wager that the card is re-backed, or backed in the first place as the case may be, and that having the card in hand would fool nobody for more than 7 seconds (other than AGS perhaps). Some evidence of re-backing appears along the top edge, IMO. Also, I believe it likely the staining on the reverse is indicative of the adhesive used to pair the two pieces together but if not, it is unnatural nonetheless, particularly along the left edge.

I am reasonably certain I know what card was used to generate this monstrosity-- it was sold by a major auction house in recent years. Since the dumbass who created this Frankenstein might learn of this thread and "correct" his work, I would remind others to use the usual precautions and observe the warning signs already mentioned in this and other threads.

Gary,

I make no comment on the authenticity of his other cards, but what do you think of a seller who auctions a dozen or more reprints of the Babe Ruth rookie with this in the listing:

"Several of these cards were even acquired by Babe Ruths' family - for their personal collection !!! It just doesn't get any better than that...... Period !!!"

Really, you think that Ruth's family is interested in these reprints, then chose these from the dozens that are on ebay every day, and then made a point of commenting on how they were kin of the Babe?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.