View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Al Richter

Default Search For Betsy Ann

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, or, if so, if it has already been discussed. I still subscribe to SCD. I am mostly a post war baseball card collector

In the June 24 issue of SCD there was an article ( I did not keep it and can not remember the name of the author) entitled The Search For Betsy Ann. The gist of the article was that the author casts doubts that the bats commonly identified as Betsy Ann from the DiMaggio hit streak and the bat used by Ruth to hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium are the real deals. The article goes into multi reasons for the conclusions

I do not collect bats and other than a tour of the Louisville Slugger Bat Museum, know nothing about them. The article seemed well thought out to me as a know nothing on the subject

This week, Tom Bartsch the SCD editor in his Leading Off Column says he failed to do due diligence on the article and has been told there were "factual errors in that viewpoint article that are too detailed to list here"

Strictly from a curiosity standpoint, is someone else familiar with this matter and if so can you share more details. My apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-28-2016 at 12:39 PM.