View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM

Jim---

Depends upon what your ultimate objectives are. As the one comment curtly implied, being the #18th best among all PSA registrants for the 1953 Bowman baseball set will not get you extra money should you sell, or any genuine privileges from PSA itself, or even a lot of extra congratulations.

Put it this way, mate, you have genuine good taste. The '53 Bowman baseball set was a landmark set. Stunning indeed. I think the pond of frogs that have completed or are working on completing the set is pretty sizable. You would have every right to be justifiably proud of your achievement. Sure, seventeen other chaps have a better set.

So what?

The key is that this is a set that struck your fancy, and you are doggedly pursuing them with the necessary tenacity towards completion. Is it worth it? If this pursuit is fulfilling to you, you better believe it is worth it. While I have not always gone with PSA, for several reasons, PSA is the best when it comes to selling and getting top dollar for what you have.

The 1953 Bowmans are breathtaking; don't let anyone rob you of your joy. Sure, you can upgrade until ..... Again, so what? It's about your personal satisfaction and gratification in the journey of putting the set together. Use it as a springboard to researching what actually was occurring in Major League Baseball that year, or in 1952, for which the 1953 set celebrates.

After all is done, you could start another set, or a player run, or a theme, or an era of Type cards.

It's your collecting life. Few will encourage you or compliment you. For so many of us, we could never even contemplate doing what you are doing. So for some, they won't say anything, perhaps out of jealousy. I'm out of the ball game, so to speak. Still, I think what you're doing is terrific, and I have a lot of respect for you. THAT IS ONE GREAT SET.

So, ask yourself, "Have I had fun collecting these? Has it been worth it, personally, to put this set together?"

If you're telling yourself "yes" on both questions, you're on the right road, mate. Keep having fun.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-28-2016 at 06:37 PM.