View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 01:46 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Sadly I don't have pictures of any of these cards but my list in no specific order

1. 1994 Upper Deck Mantle/Griffey dual auto I pulled myself from a pack.

2. 1933 Goudey Ruth #181 - I paid 50 bucks for it in the very early 80's (1980?) when "book value" was $250. It would likely grade a 2 today but I didn't care...it was a Ruth.

3. 1934 Goudey Gehrig. I paid 50 bucks for it in the very early 80's (1980) when "book value" was $250. It would likely grade a 2 today but I didn't care...it was a Gehrig (bought from the same guy as the Ruth).

4. 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams. I bought two of these from the same gentleman and I believe I paid $50 for both of them. These would also grade a 1 or 2 but it was the earliest Williams I knew I would ever own.

5. 1955 Sandy Koufax rookie. I just loved this card for some reason and regret selling it.

Needless to say, being a high school kid in the late 70's-early 80's who had money to buy baseball cards was pretty lucrative. I worked and sunk most of my money into buying shopping bags full of cards at a time people could not believe I was paying cash money for stuff they were going to toss out. As I got older and the card boom came, I used these cards as an opportunity to offset our income as we didnt make very much then and help pay for things my kids needed for school. I regret selling everything as I had one heck of a collection but on the other hand, I regret nothing as my kids got to play instruments, go to a private Christian school and get an excellent education and so much more.