View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Uncut Piedmont Cigarette Sheets

Posted By: J Hull

I recently picked up two uncut sheets of Piedmont cigarette box packaging. They're on medium stock cardboard, identical to the type used for cigarette boxes. I've never seen any other sheets like these, and I'm curious whether anyone else has. Each measures approximately 17 x 33 inches. They're for Factory 240 in Pennsylvania, so they never would have been destined for T206s. And they're probably, as best I can tell, just slightly post 1911. I'm hoping someone may be able to more definitively pin down the possible timeframe. The labels are Liggett & Myers, which makes them post 1911 (I think). I'm also under the impression that late in the teens, they increased the package size from 10 to 12 cigarettes. Which if that's true would date these sheets to the early to mid teens. But I could be completely wrong.

It's kind of tough to get a good picture of them, but if folks are interested I can try to do a little better. One thing of note on the sheets is that the registration is off for both, and so maybe they were yanked from being used as boxes for that reason. Then again, with all the registration marks all over the place, maybe they were from a morning test run when the press was being set up. Anyway, I think they're pretty cool.

Jamie