View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Default Don Sutton's Shameful Past

Posted By: Joe P.

How can anyone follow that?

First let me just say this.
Not to worry about baseball, or this baseball forum during these troubled times.
It will survive.
It survived during the 1940's when the people of this country needed it's sublimation and a place to vent.
In a fight for survival we got to see a brand of baseball that never would have been if it had not been for our troubled times then.
My hero on the Yanks was a player by the name of George "Snuffy" Stirnweiss.
A second baseman that in 1945 beat out Tony Cuccinello on the last day of the season with a batting title average of .309.
I got to see Pete Gray, a one arm outfielder play for the STL Browns.
Speaking about the Browns, I got to listen to them play over the radio (no TV then) during the 1944 WS. .... Browns in a series, a rarity.
Baseball is a surviver.

Now let me do a Dave Brubeck, and "Take Five".
Let me lay down my sword and shield and ditto what GaryB said.
No question about it, the tension in this country, on both sides of the aisle, is getting tighter and tighter than the strings of an electric guitar.
I know not how any of the other members of this board vote regardless of party affiliations.
By that I mean, do you always vote a straight party ticket?
Are you totally tied into the party program?
I can only speak for myself, and as I mentioned before, this registered Democrat voted for Barry Goldwater, a Conservative back in 1964.
It's a vote that I never regretted, and would cast again solely based on my convictions for the man.
His standing on Viet Nam was simple.
Get in, or Get Out.
LBJ the Democrat, did exactly what he accused Goldwater would do.
I can still hear the chants:
"Hey - Hey LBJ How Many Kids You Killed Today?"

It took a number of years more for most of the people to grasp the reality of the useless waste being played out.
It was the Viet Cong that kicked us out, and they did us a favor.
What I see being played out is this.
People on both sides of the aisle are beginning to question the spin.
They're loyal Americans, and definitely not lemmings.
You can't keep saying that the war is over, and that we're in control while our men and women have targets on their backs, aand we've lost over 900 KIA's and over 5000 wounded.
You can't keep saying that we did the right thing by deverting our concentration from Afghanistan and invading Iraq.
1. Fifteen of nineteen 9/11 terrorist were Saudis.
2. Now they're letting us know that Iran was a stepping stone.
3. Meanwhile being that the concentration has been in Iraq, the people in Afghanistan have been regrouping and are becoming a factor again.

People are beginning to ask "Why Iraq, and was it worth it?"

I didn't think that I would see the day, but people from both sides of the fence are asking the same question.
We might be more alike than we think?
Maybe there's hope?

I'll vote for that.

Semper Fi