View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
There would be no advantage to the seller, which makes the whole notion of the buyer and seller in some sort of bidding collusion, silly.

The advantage to the bidder is that once in awhile he may win something at a great price. I know there have been items I've been very interested in but wanted to wait until the end to bid, and then either forgot, or when I tried to place my bid, ebay made me go through the login process and I didn't get my bid in, and the item went way too cheap.

I play chess online a lot. At some sites, my games last less than 10 moves because some kid who only knows how the pieces move decides to play in the Advanced lounge. It's a waste of time for me, but I suppose the kid likes to think he's playing chess. So when I see this type of ebay bidding, I do not immediately assume some nefarious master strategy at work - I figure it's kids without huge resources, who like to bid, and hope maybe they'll get lucky now and then.

By the way, I used to deal frequently with Tim about 30 years ago, and he's one of the really good guys I remember from those days, so I think insults directed towards him say more about you, frankly.
Nobody ever said it was an advantage to the seller. I'm trying to understand the motivation of the bidder. Haven't you picked up on that yet? Despite my repeatedly stating it? I think the notion of "maybe winning something at a great price" is a little far fetched when you consider the calibre of items being bid on.

As for Tim...He came in guns blazing. Nobody took potshots at him first.