Thread: .
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Jay Shelton

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum over a year ago, but I thought it would be appropriate to re-visit for this particular post:

My mom never threw anything of mine out, and she supported me collecting cards (and helped me with my collection as a kid) by stopping at the neighborhood 7-11 back in the mid-1970s to pick up a few 25 cent packs. She even helped me by adding to my "savings" to purchase my first complete Topps set (without buying from packs) in 1979. I remember perusing Hobby publications, and the best price on a new set was from a "Leon Rock" for $9.99 plus shipping (whereas other dealers were $13 and up generally). When the set took a long time to arrive (over 3 months), I remember my mom always giving the seller the benefit of the doubt.

Years later, my mom was cleaning out some of her old purses, and she found an unopened pack of 1976 Topps baseball cards that she had evidently bought and forgotten to give me. This was in the early 90s. It was fun opening a pack of cards over 15 years old!

She passed away May 4, 2013. I still miss her.