View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohme View Post
Wow, Leon!! and it just gets smaller. I lived on Fathom - just 1 block in on the other side of El Camino between Wavecrest and Festival - and am all too familiar with that part of the street. Inter-neighborhood stickball in the cul-de-sac at the end of either your street or Seagate a couple of times in the summer of 78 (or 79) as well as typical 70's teenage hooliganism ... the fence along El Camino was great cover for tossing water balloons at passing buses, trucks, etc... Also, both my sisters went to Whitcomb Elementary over there by you.

Definitely played ball with David Spivey, and a little with his older brother Don. I didn't play in the area till Pony league in 76, so missed the state LL action, but definitely heard about it after the fact. Our pony All-Star teams in 76/77 never made it out of the region .

I'm sure you're right, that there are a whole list of characters we both know and played with. Gary Melder, Jim Backus, or Don Robison ring any bells?

Look forward to meeting you one of these days. I won't be at the Nat'l this year, but maybe 2012.

--
Mike
I remember all of those streets. That was my old stomping grounds. Yeap, it was Whitcomb Elementary..We moved from Houston and I started there in the 4th grade. Had a few fights on that playground too...There was still a lot of Jewish prejudice back then . .My brother (RIP) tried to jump that creek over there on a motorcycle, like Evil Knevel. He hit the other side, wrecked and almost killed himself *(wasn't really hurt but it was a great crash). I will never forget those days.

One of the 2 homers I ever gave up was to Don Robison....I will never forget that damn hanging curveball. I remember Melder and Backus too.....Don (and Backus I think) were one year a head of me but I was put up in the majors early...... BTW, I saw Jeff Moeller, another Nasa Area Little-Leaguer, here in Dallas several years ago...through work and quite by accident. He remembered all of this stuff too. BTW too, when my mom (RIP) was in really bad shape due to cancer, I stayed with the Spivey's so I could continue in the All Stars that year. I went to vacation bible school with them and everything. We had a great time. Their dad taught me how to throw curves and drop balls and was our coach. I think he was missing half a finger too!!

Last edited by Leon; 06-14-2011 at 11:16 AM.