View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 08:40 AM
John

Mike, thats awesome that you got Grange and Nagurski to sign!

I really enjoyed Dent’s book - I’m going to reread it at some point - one of the best things he did to me was bring a lot of the other Bears personalities to life (Luckman, Bulldog Turner, Musso, etc.). My one issue was that, in my opinion, he took some , um…. “creative liberties” - I don’t have a real problem with it - those are the parts that made it so readable - I just don’t think anyone could’ve known some of the details he added. Quick funny story - after I finished it - I checked the Amazon reviews and someone mentioned “written for a high schooler” or something like that - I guess I’m young at heart.

Last thing on the Big Nag, I found a story in the SI vault - from what I recall, he didn’t have great things to say about the wrestling career - he mentioned something to the effect of being promised big paydays he never got. Made me wonder if he wished he had stayed with football. He was definitely a private person like you said. Myron Cope tried to interview him for “The Game that Was” and I believe he said “I don’t have time to reminisce.”

Jeff - thanks for the Nevers footage! It reminded me, in the NFL Top 100 they do have game footage of one play. Strangely enough he’s lined up at wingback and runs a sweep - strange because by the accounts I’ve read his teams played the double wing and he took all the snaps as the fullback.

And finally, pretty cool we found another relative of one of these old time players. Another confirmation that the money wasn't good enough to keep these guys in the game (as players).

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.