View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 01:11 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

In these discussions, I often use the words worth less, but not worthless.

And, yes, there are uncertainties, unknowns, gray areas and matters of opinion and different viewpoints in this topic, including when trying to devise a market valuation system (which I am not doing-- in the current environment I don't think it can be done).

Here and elsewhere in my life, I often point out that things, systems and calculations are inaccurate, and leave it at that.

I've long railed against the PSA Registry because, for many reasons, it presents a false certainty, a false representation of reality and the statistical calculation methodology is incorrect. It's long offended my sense of logic and common sense . . . As an online game or fun showcase of collections webpage, that is fine. However, so much of the hobby and pricing and grading methods (and ethics) are influenced by the registry.

With the current scandal, people are realizing that the Registry numbers and calculation totals can't be more accurate and precise than the margin of error in grading and especially alteration detection. No doubt, to some people and due to the prevalence of as yet unknown number of mislabelled altered cards, the Registry numbers mean nothing now. All they know is that the numbers can't be correct. In this very thread, someone pointed out cards in the Registry with wrong numbers (number graded cards that have been shown to be altered).

Last edited by drcy; 09-22-2019 at 01:42 AM.