View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Hi Steve,

I can't think of a way that it could be proven whether some of the 150/350 EPDG's
were printed before the PD350's but Ted is saying they have established
that they were not printed before the PD350's and I'm curious what
led them to conclude this.

I do believe that at some point they were printed simultaneously but based on
the numbers and some print flaws I think the printing of the EPDG's started
before the PD350's and ended around the same time for the 150/350 subjects
but that just my opinion.

I'm not sure if it matters because we do know that the sheet layouts changed but
I have Karger, Lindaman, Mullin, and Schaefer on one plate scratch sheet
together and Shaw and Ganley are on a different sheet while Dahlen is on a third sheet.
I haven't found any scratches on Ewing, Jones, Lundgren, or Spencer. Schulte
is also on the same plate scratch sheet as Dahlen.
Just taking a quick look at a couple cards, and neither works as proof of earlier production. Conroy fielding has a 150/350 divide, but isn't known with EPDG. It looks like some of the 649OPs are known with EPDG, Powers would prove EPDG printing before the 350 series, but that's also not a card that's confirmed.

I'll have a better look and see what I can figure out. A card like the Conroy where there's a clear 150 and 350 that exists with EPDG for the 150 version would mostly prove production before most 350's

The work you've done with the scratches has already proven a lot of stuff that wasn't at all easy to prove any other way.

I think mapping less obvious differences along with matching fronts to backs will show us some more interesting stuff. It already proved useful with a couple fake Magies.

Steve B