View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
but you said

I wouldn't discount completely that the large-bodied image on the "Baker" card is Konetchy. Just not sure.

I'm also wondering why there are four Senators in a 20 card set, yet you conclude that New York was the target audience.
I know what I typed, please let's forget the "c" word. I should have said that I am absolutely certain or something, never spoken the "c" word unless referring to my mother's "C" animal collection.

Is it clear to you that the Giants and Yankees are wearing bold pin stripes? And if so, are you confident that the year is narrowed to the year mentioned? You did not say. To me, Bodie is a big clue because he never put up superstar numbers, yet he strikes me as a local fan's player type. Doyle had few good seasons, a steady player, but to be included in a star set? Burns was a local favorite, one of McGraw's most valuable. And of course, HR Baker adorned with NYA.

Four Senators, yeah, that stands out. Let's compare them to the confident looking New Yorkers:
  • Johnson, one of the greatest ever, has a mustache and is quite plump.
  • Sam Rice's card was half done. Interestingly, Rice had his first good season at bat in 1919, so since his card was half done, as an afterthought maybe, perhaps he was included later and taken from Sisler's card? Or perhaps the intent for him was correct, as a pitcher, like Sisler was a pitcher.
  • Milan looks mischievous.
  • Judge is on the wrong card IMO.

Maybe they were a give-away at one or more of the 22 Senator v Yankee match-ups, with some super-stars from the other teams mixed in?

As for the other teams,
  • Schang looks like a clown, like he should have one of those little propellers on top of his hat.
  • Some players can't be found.
  • Babe Ruth, while cute today, was made to look like a baby (or am I the only one who notices?).
  • Cobb is traveling the wrong way.

I personally have seen two types of cuts on these cards: all the way to the image, and several well cut ones. Any body ever seen or heard of a sheet of them or of any with jagged edges we so often see on strip cards? I would like to know if the fans cut them or if they were cut prior to distribution, if didtributed. I'm also thinking the set was possibly never complete. Perhaps this was to be W514 but the format changed when the errors were noticed? I'm not saying the "c" word...

James Gallo (who has an awesome collection by the way) said he found some in New York. Where else have they been found?

Todd, you noticed Baker, which is what led to me looking at all the other cards, so glad you decided to check in. Thanks

I have always thought these cards were very cool, but have not seen any in 10 years until I saw the Sisler for sale and Leon's cards. I bought three because I've always liked them.

As for Baby Ruth, I have a modern comparison: I was a Joe Montana fan and collected his cards. I found his toughest card to be the 1988 Starline Prototypes, the set of which was comprised of four cards, all quarterbacks: Elway, Simms, Kosar, Montana. It is very hard to find any of these cards, but especially Montana. It's so hard to find that an ex-mt ungraded version will sell for 400+. There were only 75 made of each player.

Left Hand batters:
1. Ruth
2. Rice
3. Judge
4. Sisler
5. Bagby (switch)
6. Doyle
7. Bancroft (switch)
8. Baker
9. Cobb
10. Schang
11. Mays
12. Milan

Left hand Throwers:
1. Ruth
2. Judge
3. Sisler

1. Ruth: LH/LH
2. Rice: bat LH, Throw: RH
3. Judge: LH/LH
4. Bodie: RH/RH
5. Sisler: LH/LH
6. Burns: RH/RH
7. Johnson: RH/RH
8. Bagby: S/RH
9. Doyle: Bats LH, Throws RH
10. Bancroft: S/RH
11. Baker: Bat LH, throw RH
12. Cobb: Bat LH, throw RH
13. Groh: RH/RH
14. Hornsby: RH/RH
15. Konetchy: RH/RH (pitching appearance in ’18)
16. Cadore: RH/RH
17. Schang: S/RH
18. Mays: Bat LH/Throw RH
19. Milan: Bat LH, Throw RH
20. Schalk: RH/RH

As Matt has said previously, the uniforms corresponded with the written names, evidence that the faces that were switched were done so accidentally. Therefore, the artist(s) was not familiar with the players, only provided with information.
The fact that Sisler and Rice's images were combined is evidence that the artist took a "short-cut" to completion of their respective cards. Both Sisler and Rice's poses are that of a pitcher, which is what they were in 1915-1916.

Cobb (CF) hitter and Base Stealer (offense)
Schang (C) hit by pitch 33 times 1915-1917
Sam Rice (P)
Johnson (P) 619 strike-outs 1915-1917
Sisler (1b), as seen on Judge’s card, pitcher 1915-16
HR Baker (3B) as seen on Konetchy’s card (*But not participating*)

• Konetchy and Mays are dressed exactly alike
• Sisler (St Louis Browns), Groh (Reds), Rice (Wash), and Judge (Wash) are exactly alike except for undershirt
• Judge (Washington) and Groh (Reds) are exactly alike
• Sisler and Rice are exact
• Same pants, red & white pin stripe: Baker, Bodie, George J. Burns
• Shirt, red and white pin stripe: Doyle,

• Two players at each position with each using opposite hand?
• New York rivalries?
• Don’t forget hitting pitchers and hitter that were former pitchers
• Ruth’s uniform does not match the New York Uniforms, at least as depicted by the manufacturer. The new Yorker’s stripes were consistent
• Ruth had wrinkled forehead and small cleft
• Real life clefts: Rice, Ruth, Sisler (Rice ID’ed,
• The uniforms corresponded with the written names, evidence that the faces were accidentally switched.
• Konetchy had a pitching appearance in ‘18
• Cobb is returning to second as Mays checks the runner

Boston Red Sox
• Babe Ruth 1914-1919 (RC) limited play in 1914
• Carl Mays 1915-1919 (RC)
• Schang 1918-1920
Washington Senators
• Walter Johnson 1907-1927 (“W” on chest)
• Joe Judge 1915-1932 (RC)
• Clyde Milan 1907-1922
• Sam Rice 1915-1933 (RC)(Pitcher 1915-1916)
Detroit Tigers
• Ty Cobb
New York Yankees
• Frank Baker 1916-1922 NYA on chest (****Red and White striped pants****)
• Ping Bodie 1918-1921 (“B” on chest) (****Red and White striped pants****) correct
New York Giants
• Larry Doyle 1915-1916 and 1918-1920 (****Red and White striped shirt****)
• George Joseph Burns 1911-1921 (****Red and White striped pants****)
Brooklyn Robbins
• Leon Cadore 1915-1922 (RC) (“C” on chest)
Boston Red Sox
• Babe Ruth 1914-1919 (RC)
• Carl Mays 1915-1919 (RC)
Boston Braves
• Konetchy 1916-1918 (new team starting 1916)
Philadelphia Phillies
• David Bancroft 1915-1920 (RC)
Philadelphia A’s
• Ping Bodie 1917
• Schang 1913-1917
Chicago Cubs
• Larry Doyle 1916-1917 (Some kind of change in 1916)
Chicago White Sox
• Ray Schalk 1912-1928
Cincinnati Reds
• Heine Groh 1914-1921
St Louis Cardinals
• R. Hornsby 1915-1926 (RC)
St Louis Browns (American)
• Sisler
Cleveland Indians
• Jim Bagby 1916-1922 (only 17 IP with Reds in 1912)