View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
This is correct. Many collectors combine the 1914 and 1915 sets and don't distinguish between the two when assembling a "Cracker Jack" set, since the fronts of the cards are interchangable. However for some reason the pictures of Pratt and Mathewson changed from 1914 to 1915, so both cards are needed to complete the set. A collector who combines the sets would consider the pop report for Cady (and all others except Pratt and Matty) to include both the 1914 Cady and the 1915 Cady, rather than just the 1914. This way the Pratt and Matty from 1914 would be much more rare than any other cards.
I agree that someone putting together a 1914-15 set would definitely elevate the few cards that changed pictures from 14 to 15 (Pratt, matty, zeider, etc.).
Pratt and matty are still harder to find than the other ones that changed.
The initial post is very well thought out. I would think that the Pratt population went up more proportionately than Owens and shotten is that any outer rim collector of cj's or dead ball cards knows about Pratt. Just like you said that it was the first thing someone told you when embarking on the set. Pratt has a reputation for being tough. Owens and shotten, to me, didn't have much of a rep as being tougher until you pointed that out well here. When Pratt is having sales of 16K, etc. then owners get them graded and have more of a reason to sell. When Owens never sells for crazy big money, then the owners of them don't have them graded and they don't "come out of the woodwork".