View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Doherty Mill / Oval photo

For anyone interested in additional information on the Doherty Silk Sox and the Doherty Oval baseball park . . . .page 33 of the following source gives a one-page description of the baseball that took place at the Doherty Oval, along with a pretty good picture of the ballpark.

Click here: Historic Passaic County: An Illustrated History - Edward A. Smyk, Robert J. Masiello - Google Books

Note: My interest in the Doherty "story" -- my grandparents worked at the mill, I grew up in Clifton, and my father (Eddie Mayo), as a youngster, worked at the Oval, collecting pop bottles for deposit money, wrapped peanuts, and other activities that I won't mention here. The source cited here also mentions that he was the Silk Sox mascot (although I never remember him mentioning this). He also went on to spend 24 years in Organized Baseball, including 13 years in MLB, with his best years as a second baseman with the Tigers, including the '45 World Series. Growing up, he lived right across the street (Main St) from the Doherty Mill.

One question that has gone unanswered for me is why the Silk Sox stopped playing after 1927.

Ed Mayo