Thread: March Pick Up
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

That's a GREAT SCORECARD! I have been researching the Elites for years, since I met many of the players and their fans when I was in college in Baltimore in the 80's. They always get overshadowed by the Grays, but the Elite Giants had a solid team from 1939 through 1943, with one of the deepest pitching staffs in the Negro National League. Bill Byrd, Pullman Porter, Lefty Glover and Jonas Gaines were all top shelf arms. Then you had Campy of course, with Biz Mackey, Wild Bill Wright and Sammy T. Hughes who were no doubt of big league talent.

Unfortunately players were always abandoning the team to play in Mexico or other places. In 1942 for example, Campanella and 2nd baseman Sammy T. Hughes left the team at a crucial point in the pennant race to play an exhibition game in Cleveland. They were suspended and the Elites lost the games the pair missed. On top of that, Campy just took off for Mexico after that and the Elite Giants lost the pennant in the last weekend of the season. If those two were playing, the chances are Baltimore would have clinched the 2nd half pennant.

Anyway, don't get me started on the Elite Giants - nice scorecard and thanks for showing all the pages.

Fun Elite Giants fact: the team name is pronounced "EEE-Lite" Giants