Thread: Newby!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 08:07 AM
Frank Wakefield

Scott, welcome!

Warren Spahn. years ago I thought of him as a good, worthy Hall of Famer. I saw him pitch, only once, for the Giants, in St. Louis, in the mid-1960s. It was a game when play was stopped to allow Mike Shannon time to put on catcher's equipment, then make a few practice throws to second, the Cardinals were short a catcher due to injury, and then the catcher starting the game got injured.

Anyway, as time has gone by I have come to think that he's the best southpaw pitcher I've seen. Not Carlton, nor Randy Johnson, nor Glavine, nor Mr. Koufax.

Warren Spahn may not be my choice for a Lefty to win one game; nor even be the left-hander with the best season. But what he did have is the best career, I think. He was a winner, a leader among his team-mates where the clubhouses are packed with players who were stars in high school, college, and even in the minors (but the majors is a taller pinnacle). And, Warren Spahn was a quiet war hero, in the old sense of the word ('hero' has become a word attributed to way too many, I think, it's like youth soccer, everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy...). I applaud your collection of his cards.

I look forward to your posts.