View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM
David Kathman

Default 1929 New Yorker article on card collecting in the 1880s

In addition to collecting baseball cards, I'm interested in the history of the hobby, and I've amassed a pretty decent collection of old hobby publications dating back to the 1950s. Among the convention programs I have is one from the 1974 Baseball Nostalgia Expo, run by the Chicagoland Collectors Association. Among the several articles reproduced in this program is one by Arthur H. Folwell from the May 4, 1929 issue of The New Yorker, called "A New York Childhood: Cigarette Pictures", in which the author reminisces about collecting tobacco cards, including Old Judges and Buchner Gold Coin ballplayers, as a child in the late 1880s. It's illustrated with pictures of Old Judges, N28s, an N284, an N162, an N300, and an N690, though I'm not certain whether all of these illustrations are from the original article or whether some were added for the program. Anyway, I scanned the article and thought people would be interested in seeing it. I did a search of the archives here and see that this article was mentioned back in 2007 by someone who e-mailed Leon a copy, but I don't think it has been posted.